SLICEABLE VEGAN CASHEW CHEESE
COOK / SET TIME
1 hour 30 mins
1 hour 40 mins
Sliceable Vegan Cashew Cheese made with agar-agar. It slices, grates and melts
Recipe type: Vegan, Vegetarian, Glutenfree, Dairyfree, Soyfree, Oilfree
• Raw Cashews-1/2 cup [Soaked overnight in a cup of water] or set in hot water for 3 hours (just boil water and pour over cashews)
• Nutritional yeast-3 tablespoons
• Garlic-1 clove (you don’t want this to be a garlic cheese)
• Starch of your choice (Tapioca/Arrowroot/Corn)-1.5 tsp
• Agar Agar powder- 1.5 tsp ( for substitute — gelatin if you have no sensitivity to animal products )
• Juice from Lemon-1 Tbsp + 2 tsp
• Water-1/2 cup with the agar agar/ gelatin +1/2 cup in blender
• Salt/ Season to taste && you can add Turmeric if you need the deep yellow color ( plus it’s great for inflammation )
1. In a saucepan, mix agar agar in ½ cup water. Keep aside
2. Discard the water from cashews. Rinse them really well. Add cashews to a food processor with nutritional yeast, garlic, starch, salt, lemon juice & ½ cup of water. Make a very very smooth paste.
3. Add the cashew paste to agar agar (gelatin ) mixture.
4. Bring this to boil on a low-medium heat until it forms a thick pancake-batter consistency.
5. Quickly transfer to glass dish for setting.
6. Refrigerate for an hour. Or pop in freezer to speed setting time
7. Carefully remove from the glass dish when set — I just say mine upside down on a parchment sheet — it slid out perfectly